Monday, October 8, 2012

Wildwood Dancing


Fairy tale adaptions are my favorite.  But, while it is hard to go wrong with a fairy tale adaption, the best ones are the ones that still keep you guessing even when you should know how it ends.  "Wildwood Dancing" by Juliet Marillier is a prime example.


The fairtytale:  This story comes mainly from "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" which happens to be on one of my favorite stories, but also incorporates elements from "the Princess and the Frog" and a couple vampires. That's right, I said vampires.  (Audible Gasp). I know what you are thinking, but I am not betraying my own creed here.  The story takes place in the mountains of Transylvania, and the vampires are the stuff of very old Transylvanian legend--they aren't even called vampires, rather "night people", and, no, they do not sparkle in the sunlight).   This is a beautiful and magical tale, but it is also really interesting, because we don't often get to hear the folktales of Transylvania, or experience what life there may have once been like.

The Story:  Jena and her four sisters live in an old castle in the wildwood, and when they were very young they found a portal which led to a magical world paralleling their own.  Every full moon for years they have gone dancing in this magic realm, but when their father leaves for a warmer climate to predict his frail health, their world shifts.  Their power-hungry cousin is determined to control the lives of the sisters, as well as destroy the magical folk of the wildwood.  Of course, this is when the night people show up as well, and bring with them a whole host of other trials for Jena and her sisters.  Here is an excellent fan-made book trailer that may present the story better than I can:


Isn't that just beautiful?  The trailer does a nice job of highlighting the huge part true love plays in the story, and if you can't already guess, that is my favorite part! I love stories where the conflict can really only be solved by love--they are just so satisfying.  Anyway, this is another story that I don't think has gotten nearly as much attention as it deserves.  It is thrilling, enchanting, and I keep re-reading it, so please take my advice and give this one a try.

Age group:  I recommend this book for junior high and high-school aged folks


Just so you know, there is also a sequl: "Cybele's Secret", which is about Paula, the fourth sister.  I like the first one better, but I really enjoyed this one too, and it is fun because Paula explores the exotic world of Istanbul.  (I've also heard that Marillier may be writing a third book about the youngest sister, Stela.  If this ever happens, I will alert you all immediately).

  (P.S.  This concludes Jo's Top Five Favorite Love Stories.  I hope you have enjoyed the list, and will give them a try.  Thanks for reading!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment