Wednesday, October 10, 2012

October Reads: the Slightly Sinister

Today is October 10th--only 21 days until Halloween! Mostly I just love Halloween for the costume aspect.  Having an excuse to dress up is the greatest!  Last year, I was affectionately called the grandma of my apartment because every morning I wore a bathrobe and glasses and put my hair in a bun.  My roommates liked to tell people that I went to bed 18 and woke up 85, so for Halloween I simply went as, well, myself!


The rest of Halloween....well, haunted houses terrify me, and I take horror movies way too seriously, and i don't like spiders--even the plastic decorative ones.  So... you can assume that horrific books are also out.  However, I do enjoy the slightly sinister, and a little tingle up my spine is always good, so for the rest of October I will present books for all ages that are just a little bit scary, suspenseful, and/or creepy.  (And maybe a few fun Halloween themed ones as well).  I don't know what they will all be yet, but I will post the titles back on this page once we hit November.  So stay tuned, and feel free to send me ideas and recommendations for "THE SLIGHTLY SINISTER"...dun dun DUN!


The List (Updated Oct. 31, 2012) :

The Silver Crown by Robert O'Brien

Peppermints in the Parlor by Barbara Brooks Wallace

Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Witches by Roald Dahl

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden by Mary Chase

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin


Also, I just found out about an awesome new thing called "All Hallows Read".  Check out their website for more ideas for scary/Halloween reads:

http://www.allhallowsread.com/

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment