Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Westing Game



OKAY...so I was trying to think of more ideas for slightly sinister books, and I saw a comment online about how this was a great scary-ish book.  I remembered seeing it in the award-winning section of my library, so I stopped by and checked it out.  Turns out, it really isn't scary at all.  But it's funny, it's clever, and it BLEW MY MIND, so I am including it anyway.

The Plot:  The body of Sam Westing, a mysterious millionaire with a complicated past, is found dead in his mansion on Halloween night.  His sixteen heirs are summoned to the mansion to hear the reading of his will, but are surprised when they are split into teams and given clues.  In his will, Westing states that his life was taken from him by one of the players and it is up to the rest to discover who.  The winner will inherit the majority of Westing's money.   So begins The Westing Game.

Sounds kind of creepy, right?  A dangerous game of murder and intrigue... but things are not always as they seem.  Is Westing a good man trying to build friendships between the people he loves, a bad man seeking revenge on his enemies, or just a brilliant mind playing one last game?  You'll just have to read it and find out.

Why It's Great:  I think we can all agree that reading is generally not a loud hobby, but my roommates got a good laugh out of listening to me read "The Westing Game" because every few pages I would gasp, or laugh, or say "What!?" and re-read that paragraph to make sure I got it right.  It was so fun to read because I was constantly being surprised.  I would think I had it all figured out, and then discover that I was wrong, and then that I was right, and then wrong again.  Not only was it a constant surprise, but it was funny.  The characters are quirky and fun (my favorite, though, is Jake Wexler, who is actually pretty normal), and I love how they start out as mere neighbors but end as friends.

Age Group: This is a short book and it is is easy to read, but it is not easy to understand.  I think elementary school kids would enjoy the story, even if the finer points of the plot are lost on them.  Let's face it, the finer points of the plot were lost on me, and I'm a college student, so don't let that hold you back.  The best age to read this book is probably junior high/ middle school, however.  It's a fast, fun read that will keep you guessing, and I think anyone can and will enjoy this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment