Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Frankenstein




Mary Shelley's masterpiece was my first summer reading assignment for school, and I may have complained about the assignments and the time I gave up out of my summer, but I can also say that since then I have read it at least twice just for fun.  It's a great book, and a perfect read for Halloween.  It is definitely dark, but I read it the summer after eighth grade, so anywhere from that age up (maybe a little younger) should be good.  Give it a try!





Common Misconceptions:  

1. Frankenstein is not a big green monster with an affinity for purple. That's the Incredible Hulk, people. Frankenstein is actually the scientist, not the monster. The creature never gets a name, never wears purple as far as I remember, and doesn't have so much as a green thumb. 


2. Everybody thinks that Frankenstein's monster is a dumb brute, but he's really not.  He is very intelligent, and starts out very innocent and kind.  

3. Igor.  What the heck is an Igor?  There certainly isn't a hunchbacked assistant in the book, though I must say...these misconceptions sure make for good cinema.

A clip from "Young Frankenstein"



No comments:

Post a Comment