Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Which Witch?



Today's post isn't even slightly sinister, but it does go nicely with Halloween, and I'm kind of a sucker for plays on words.

First I'd like to say a word on the author, Eva Ibbotson.  My student teacher in third grade read "Which Witch" aloud to us--a chapter a day--and when we she finished (much to our dissappointment), I went in search of other books by Ms. Ibbotson.  I discovered half a dozen more stories about witches and ghosts and mermaids, and she soon became my favorite author.  (I think in total, she's written over twenty books, but I haven't read them all yet).  I love this book because it was the first one I read, and to a large extent, her books helped me learn to love reading.

The Story:  Arriman, Wizard of North, is tired of all his sorcerer's duties, and though he is still quite young, decides it is time to retire.  The only problem is that he needs an heir--a baby with powerful black magic of its own--and for that, he needs to marry a witch.  He invites the witches of Todcaster to his manor to compete to be his wife--the blackest witch will win.   Belladonna immediately falls for Arriman, but she is a white witch and has no chance unless she can find some black magic fast.  By some odd chance, she happens upon an orphan named Terrence, who may possess the key to unlocking her magic, unless the evil Madame Olympia can stop them first.

Why you will love it:  It's just a fun story.  The characters of the other witches are crazy!  Mother Bloodwort is always accidentally turning herself into a coffee table, Ethel Feedbag always wears her signature manure-covered wellies, and Mabel Wrack's familiar is an octopus named (of all things) Doris.  The story is  light and fun and a great one to read around Halloween, and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment