Tuesday, October 2, 2012

These is My Words: the Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine


This book is neat because, while it is fictional, the author, Nancy E. Turner, was inspired to write in by the legacy of her great-grandmother, Sarah Prine, who was a real frontier woman and lived a similar life to Sarah's in the book. 
 

Why I love it:  First of all, I love the character of Sarah.  She is strong and determined, she has a love of learning and a love of life, she is loyal and brave, she's got a shot like Annie Oakley...and yet I think any person (regardless of time period or situation) can relate to her doubts and fears.

Second, this book is inspirational and emotional, and it paints a vivid picture of the rough and beautiful Arizona territory in the 1800s.  In other words, it is a satisfying read.  I learned a lot, felt a lot, and it made me think.

And last, this is just a wonderful love story.  Sarah experiences a lot of heartache throughout her life, but when she does find love it is real and beautiful in all its ups and downs.  It is the love-story component that I think makes this book so timeless.

I'm not going to tell you what happens, because I want you to experience it for yourselves.  Please don't let the lack of selling and enticing on my part convince that this book isn't worth your time, because it is! Most the books I promote on this site are pretty well known, but this is one that very few people have read (at least that I have talked to) but is loved by everyone who has.

Disclaimer: This book is not for a younger-than-high-school audience. While I wouldn't consider it "dirty" it does address mature subjects like rape and murder, and you should be aware of that before you start.  That being said, this is one of the best books I've read.  Sarah's world is rough, but she is strong, and makes a good life out of a lot of horrible trials.

I can't recommend this novel strongly enough. Please go read it right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment