Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Witch of Blackbird Pond



When someone asks me what my favorite book is, I give them that look.  Yeah, you know the look.  The look that says "Well, first tell me which is better, the pancake or the waffle?"
Even if you don't love to read, you probably have that same look when someone asks you your favorite movie, or favorite dessert, or favorite child...(at least I should hope you have that look).
But, if the question of my favorite book is on one of those little getting-to-know-you coloring pages, and there is only one line in which to explain all this inner conflict, I give up and simply write "The Witch of Blackbird Pond".

The Story:  Kit Tyler has always lived an enchanted life in the West Indies, but when her grandfather dies, she makes the journey to Connecticut colony to live with Puritan relatives she has never met.  Kit doesn't fit in with rigid Puritan culture, but she learns from her mistakes and makes friends with various other outcasts--including Hannah Tupper, the rumored witch who lives in the meadows.  When hard times hit the town, however, Hannah and Kit are the first to be blamed, and Kit must find a way to remain in the life she has come to love.

Why I love it: Well...I really like historical fiction, and this book features a lot of things that actually happened in Connecticut's history...the characters are really well developed, and loved imagining myself in their places...Kit is really awesome....but let's me honest.  This is my "favorite book" because of the love story in it.  Nat Eaton is the Dmitri of the book world: he's a little infuriating but you just can't help but fall for him.  And it isn't just Nat and Kit that get to have some fun.  Kit's cousins Mercy and Judith are thrown into the mix, and it looks like everyone is going to end up with the wrong person, and even though you know it will turn out right, you still don't breathe easy until it does. It's like a colonial Pride and Prejudice.

Age Group:  I remember a bunch of girls I knew reading this in fourth grade, but I didn't read it until junior high.  I honestly think it is a great book for any age: elementary, junior high, high school, infinity and beyond.


No comments:

Post a Comment