Monday, September 17, 2012

Michael Vey


 

Michael is the new kid on the block.  At the moment, his series consists of only two books, so I think that Harry and his homeboys are still making up their mind about him, but so far they like what they see.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed book number one.  I'd seen the posters and billboards around advertising it, and I thought to myself, "Ope, there's another Potter wannabe", but a few months later I was bored...
and my brother had "Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25" on his shelf...
and I said, "okay. I'll give it a try."

I was pleasantly surprised.  Michael has Tourette Syndrome, and is bullied a lot at school.  His secret is that he could fry his tormentors in a split second with the electric shock powers he has had his entire life, and it is always a struggle for him to leave them alone.  Like Percy Jackson (Saturday's post), who has dyslexia and ADHD, I like this book because the hero is kind of an underdog who struggles in school, but who either rises above his disadvantages or uses them for good. I was bugged that Taylor's main description is "cheerleader", but I felt better when I realized that she was breaking down stereotypes, not reinforcing them.

But things really start to happen when they LEAVE the school.

I don't want to tell you anything more about what happens, but...

all right, I'll spill! Michael isn't the only kid with electrical powers!

So I'm a sucker for kids with powers, we all know that.  But I think this series is going to be a really exciting adventure and I recommend you read it, so you will be ready to jump right into book two, "Rise of the Elgen".  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I will keep you "posted" (blog pun). I'm adding the trailers for both books here, but (as always) watch at your own risk. They are pretty cheesy.

(Oh and the target audience for this book is probably middle-school boys and girls, but it is a fun read for high school and older elementary aged kids too)

Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 (By Richard Paul Evans)
Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgen (By Richard Paul Evans)

No comments:

Post a Comment