Sunday, September 9, 2012

Boy: A genuine not-bored-to-tears autobiography




Once, long ago, I made a great literary discovery.  I was in fourth grade and one of great highlights of my life was the Scholastic book order catalog that the school sent home every few months. I loved those things, especially because my mother always let me choose one item.  Sometimes, I’d pick the little bead bracelet kits on the back of the catalog, but I always regretted them and wished I’d chosen a book instead. Once, we decided to splurge on a whole set of paperback Roald Dahl novels.  When the books arrived, I read one at a time: Matilda, the BFG, the Twits, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory…but there was one that I avoided reading because it was an autobiography.  Boy is an intriguing sort of title—it’s not “The Boy” or “A Boy” and when I saw it I thought “WHAT BOY?!” in an annoyed mental voice. No the title's not the problem. But “autobiography” is one of the most gruesome words that have ever been invented--right up there with stroganoff and mulch.  Eventually, however, I ran out of the interesting-looking books and decided to give it a try. I loved it.  

Roald Dahl's autobiography is great because he writes with humor and is (as we know) a natural storyteller, but it is also fun because we can trace where he got ideas for his stories from his own life.  For example, he worked as a chocolate taste- tester for Cadbury, and then years later used those memories when writing "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".  What a job, right? I especially loved reading about the pranks he plays on his teacher, his sister's boyfriend, and any other unsuspecting victim.  You are curious now. Time for the slam dunk...
                                                     

Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl is a great literary discovery BECAUSE at least once in his or her young life, every kid is going to have to do a book report on an autobiography and I can proudly say I've found the solution for both an A+ and an interesting read.


No comments:

Post a Comment