Sunday, December 2, 2012

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder


Rating: Cleanest

Audience:  Anyone. I think I read it in second grade.

Plot:  Everyone is probably familiar with Little House on the Prairie, but it is actually a whole series.  Little House in the Big Woods is the first book (and the best in my opinion) and tells the story of Laura's family living in a small cabin in the big snowy woods of Wisconsin.  They tap maple syrup from trees, have run-ins with bears, and listen to stories by the fireside at night. One of my favorite scenes is when Laura and her family travel by sleigh to their grandparents house for a big dance and Christmas party. Laura's dad plays the fiddle, and ever since reading this book in elementary school, I've wanted to go to a Christmas party with dancing and fiddle music. (If anyone knows of any, let me know).

What makes it great?

This book is enchanting.  Laura has a magical childhood in the Big Woods and it is fun to see it all from her perspective.  This is also a fun book to read around Christmas time since so many of the best scenes involve the snowy Wisconsin wonderland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment