Monday, December 3, 2012

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte



 
Rating: Clean

Audience: Jane Eyre is pretty dark, so I'd probably say ninth grade and up.  There is some foul language. Nothing racy happens, though Jane does have to turn down an offer to become Mr. Rochester's mistress.

Plot: After a miserable childhood, orphan Jane Eyre takes up a post as a governess at Thornfield Hall.  The master of the hall, Mr. Rochester, intrigues Jane, but things are not always what they seem, and Mr. Rochester has a secretive past that will compromise their relationship . . .

What makes it great?

From the description above, Jane Eyre sounds like a soap opera, but it isn't just about the drama.  The best part of the book is how boss-awesome Jane is as she gains her independence, keeps her integrity, and transcends the boundaries placed on her by gender and social class.  Now that's more like it!

It also has just the right amount of creepiness to thrill you without actually freaking you out, so if you are wimp like me, it is perfect.

P.S. If you aren't going to read it because you hated Wuthering Heights, don't worry, I hate Wuthering Heights too.  Jane is a heroine you will like and her story actually has a happy ending. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I remember reading this book in High School. I can say, while I appreciate its literary value, it was not one of my favorites. The story seemed a little, hm, contrived while some of the characters just seemed...Bland to me. Especially Rochester, don't get me started on him.

    While not one of my favorites, it does have its merits as a literary classic. Bronte's style of writing reads easily, and you can see much of the story reflected in modern day story romances.

    ReplyDelete